Cult Counselling Australia
- is concerned about the effect of destructive cults on families and community
- are devoted to assisting individual and families resolve their differences which have arise as a result of cult involvement
- recognise the importance of free choice and condemns any organization or person that usurps that right
- supports the use of professional exit counsellors in a therapeutic setting
- will not condone or participate in any involuntary activity
- is a non-denominational, community-based organization
Cult Counselling Australia was established in 1991 in response to the growing number of cults and personal development groups operating in Australia.
This growth was not limited to the better known eastern cults which had proliferated in the 70's and 80's. There were numerous other groups causing concern, in particular, fringe churches as well as personal development groups.
Although initially active in Melbourne, the number of enquiries received at Cult Counselling Australia has led to the organization becoming active all around Australia and overseas.
In taking on this role, Cult Counselling Australia was able to fill a vacuum which has denied families and friends of loved ones involved in cults the ability to seek professional assistance when needed most.
From the very outset it was clear that despite the similarities between the techniques used by cults throughout the world, the Australian cult scene displayed its own unique features. Furthermore, there were numerous groups operating in Australia which had no counterpart or network overseas.
It was also necessary to look at the legal implication of cults bearing in mind the differences between Australian and overseas law. Many cult enquiries relate to family issues and very often there are family law issues to be considered.
Cult Counselling Australia has been able to network with other agencies and professionals both locally and overseas. In turn, Cult Counselling Australia is proud to act as a resource for these organizations in its effort to raise awareness of the cult issue in Australia.
Every year Cult Counselling Australia responds to hundreds of calls for assistance. The calls come from families and friends of loved ones, the helping profession, community leaders and statutory authorities.
Cult Counselling Australia is a professional counselling agency and charges a fee services. See details about fees and charges under Appointments/Fee Structure.